Put an ice cube from your fridge into a glass of water. You have a piece of string(线) 10 centimeters long. The problem is to take out that piece of ice with the help of the string. But you must not touch the ice with your fingers.
You may ask your friends to try to do that when you are having dinner together. There is a saltcellar on the table. You must use salt when you carry out this experiment.
First you put the string across the piece of ice. Then put some salt on the ice. Salt makes ice melt(融化). The ice round the string will begin to melt. But when it melts, it will lose heat. The cold ice cube will make the salt water freeze again.
After a minute or two you may raise the piece of string and with it you will raise your piece of ice!
This experiment can be very useful to you. If, for example, there is ice near the door of your house, you must use very much salt to melt all the ice. If you don't put enough salt, the water will freeze again.
1. We must use _______ when we carry out this experiment.
A. fridge B. some food C. a table D. some salt
2. How long will it take to carry out this experiment?
A. More than three minutes. B. Five minutes or so.
C. Only one minute or two. D. About ten minutes.
3. What is the task of this experiment?
A. Put the ice cube into the glass of water with the help of the string.
B. Take out the ice cube in the glass of water with the help of the string.
C. Take out the ice cube in the glass of water with your fingers.
D. Put some salt on the ice cube and then put the string across it.
4. How many things at least are used in this experiment?
A. Three. B. Four. C. Six. D. Seven.
5. We can learn something about _______ from the passage.
A. Physics B. biology C. chemistry D. maths
2. C。文章第4段的After a minute or two...(一两分钟后你可以提起细绳…)，由此可知进行这个实验仅需一两分钟时间。
3. B。这个实验的任务是什么呢?由文章第1段第3句The problem is to take out that piece of ice with the help of the string(问题是如何用细绳将冰块拿出)，由此可知答案为B。
4. B。实验中至少用了几样东西?从全文可知道至少用了string, salt, a glass of water, ice cube这4种东西。